What is an Advance Directive? A gift to your support person (people) letting them know what matters most to you.
Usually, the first step is to choose a Healthcare Agent. This person would be the one you trust to make decisions for you IF you cannot do so yourself.
A written plan for loved ones and health care providers to follow is called a Healthcare Directive. This allows your wishes to be known if a time comes when you cannot speak for yourself.
The most important part of this process is talking about your wishes with the people in your life who will need to know if you cannot speak for yourself.
You may want to talk to your healthcare provider about the future. Here are some ideas:
- What would you like to know about what is likely ahead with your illness?
- What is most important for you to have a good quality of life?
- What are you afraid of about your illness?
- What kinds of medical care do you NOT want?
- If you have not already identified a Health Care Agent (proxy), who would be able to fill that role? Do you have this in writing?
We can help. Ask your healthcare provider or call Dallas Nephrology Associates’ Supportive Care Team at 214.366-6290.